The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.– Albert Einstein
Libraries store the energy that fuels the imagination. They open up windows to the world and inspire us to explore and achieve, and contribute to improving our quality of life.– Sidney Sheldon
I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” – Jane Austen
“Books are a uniquely portable magic.” – Stephen King
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of a Library.” Jorge Luis Borges
Welcome to Ysgol Penglais School Library. We believe the library should be the heart and hub of the school. The library can be many different things to our students: a vital work area; a great research asset; a place of solace and relaxation; a warm and comfortable reading spot; a doorway to knowledge and discovery and a helpful tool for guidance and achievement.
- The library is open at 8:15am every weekday during term time.
- The library has approximately 30 computers for students to use and currently has a stock of nearly 11,000 books.
- The library has introduced dedicated quiet days at lunchtimes on a Tuesday, Thursday and Friday to provide a quiet environment for work and reading to take place.
- Homework club takes place on a Monday and Wednesday until 4:15pm. This is an opportunity for students to complete homework and schoolwork using all of the resources available in the library together with any guidance needed from our librarian, Mrs Kennedy. Help can be given with master research techniques, revision planning and sourcing information both digitally and in hard copy.
Library Provision in Penglais
- The library is actively encouraging reading and book borrowing to the students and for the period from November 2019 to May 2020, borrowing has increased by 45% compared to the figures from the same period the year before.
- Reading lists are now available for all year groups and can be obtained from the library or the English faculty. The librarian is ensuring that all the up to date fiction releases are available to our keen readers and monitors book recommendations and book awards. There is a large non-fiction selection to support the curriculum and learning.
- The PTA have very kindly granted additional funding to the library for this coming academic year to facilitate the purchase of more books and seating. Book donations, which may be suitable for our library, are gratefully received.
Celebrating Reading and Writing
The Library celebrates events throughout the academic year including World Book Day, Harry Potter Book event, Halloween and Christmas. There are intentions to carry out more events and suggestions from students include Star Wars Day, Alice in Wonderland Mad Hatter’s Tea Party, Roald Dahl and Sherlock Holmes.
The Library also actively encourages students to enter into writing, poetry or other suitable competitions. Some of our students entered the National Book Tokens design a book token competition this year.
The school library is accessible to all students, with Year 7 being automatically enrolled when they join the school.
Students’ opinions are really important and there is a suggestion box in the library to ensure that all students can have an input. These suggestions have helped us to stock the library with books students want to read and develop quiet sessions to benefit students’ independent study time. Book requests, suggestions, and recommendations are always welcome from students
The library is fully utilised by the students and will continue to offer any support which is required by the students in their learning and well-being.
Remember, “When in doubt go to the library.”– J.K. Rowling