Support for your child

The ALN department at Ysgol Penglais School values and supports the contribution that every child can make.  The department seeks to remove barriers to learning in order to raise the achievement of students who have additional learning needs (ALN). The purpose of the department is to help students to acquire the necessary learning skills and confidence to cope with school life, the curriculum, and to achieve their full potential.

At Ysgol Penglais School the ALN department is made up of the following specialist resource units:

  • Learning Support Centre – a designated, special provision for students  with moderate to severe learning difficulties
  • Basic Skills – literacy and numeracy support
  • Hearing Resource Centre – a designated special provision for students with hearing impairment
  • Hafan
  • Emotional Literacy Support (ELSA)

Students have an additional learning need if they:

  • Have a learning difficulty that calls for special educational provision to be made for them;
  • Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of students of the same age.

Students have a learning difficulty if they:

  • Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning that the majority of student the of the same age;
  • Have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for student of the same age in schools within the area of the Education Authority.

The ALN Code of practice for Wales states that needs fall within the following broad range areas:

  • Cognition and learning
  • Behaviour, Emotional and Social Development
  • Communication and interaction and
  • Sensory and/or physical